A Day in the Life of a Talipes Mummy

It sounds like a huge challenge with those boots and bar attached to Milo for 23 hours a day but, it’s normal life for us. Luckily, Milo is our first born so we don’t have anything to compare it to. The first two weeks of his life were crazy so when we finally settled into weekly hospital visits and plaster cast legs, we soon got used to that as being normal. So when it came to having his boots fitted, we were excited for less hospital trips and fun daily bath times.

Milo has his boots and bar on his feet for 23 hours a day, meaning the hour out of them is filled with squidgy cuddles, tummy time, baths and boot cleaning! He has his free time just before the bed time routine so we can tie in his bath and change of clothes with this, minimising the amount of times we take his boots off throughout the day.

Mornings for Milo are quite straightforward and not too different to anyone else’s routine. He wakes us up by blowing raspberries or yawning very loudly, and then it’s bottle time. Mr independent will only take his bottle when holding it himself now so as he’s doing this, lay like a king on our bed, I take the opportunity to get myself ready for the day. Typically it’s activewear thrown on, for actually being active and going to the gym! With bottle thrown across bed and mum all ready for the day, boots and bar come off so Milo can be dressed. There’s usually a bit of a whiff from the boots and Milo’s feet because that area does get sweaty. We try and eliminate as much smell as possible by using a wet wipe on the boots and then using talc on boots and feet.

Boots and bar back on and Milo’s ready too. Heading downstairs with a million things in my arms, including the little man has become the norm. He’s pretty easy to carry, no different from other babies that can hold themselves comfortably on your hip.

The first hurdle we come across happens every morning before breakfast. I usually forget to remove the bar between Milo’s feet to help him into his high chair so try to do it one handed whilst he’s in my arms. Sometimes I succeed, most of the time I have to admit defeat and sit him on my lap and start again. We have a wooden high chair so the metal bar banging against it is very noisy, which we forget are now very used to. We’ve often had visitors asking why we are banging so loud in our kitchen and it takes us a while to correct them and show them who is really making the noise.

Once breakfast is all done and Milo’s bag is packed for the day, we usually head out to our local leisure centre so mummy can have some free time and work out. It’s only about 20 minutes away by foot, and we really enjoy the walk. Especially now that Milo can see the world, forward facing in his stroller. We use the childminding facility for Milo so he gets about 2 hours play time on his own, which he loves. He especially enjoys the attention he gets from the lovely staff that run it. I get a little bit of time to myself too, a chance to blow off steam, talk to adults and relieve anxiety. It’s the reboot I need and will always recommend to any parent that feels like their life is on repeat, day after day.

After a little bit of me time, I always feel a lot more positive about motherhood. I remind myself I’m doing a good job, then I reward myself with coffee and cake with friends! Milo enjoys this part of the day too. He has someone new to entertain and show off too and they aren’t bored of singing his favourite songs to him, so he’s completely spoilt with love and attention the whole day.

We usually throw in another walk around our area, or walk to the shop (especially now it’s creme egg season again). Outdoor time is so important and good for the soul, it exhausts us both too, enough for Milo to nap and mummy to have a quick clean up!

House cleared, Milo well rested and dinner cooking and it’s finally time for a cup of tea. The stereotypical afternoon ritual of stay at home mums everywhere! It’s well needed and definitely deserved though. So, never deny yourself of that quick 10 minute rest whilst you can because as soon as you know, your husband comes home from work and that is the equivalent of 3 children returning home – a whirlwind!

Milo’s dad comes home and gets fed, then it’s their time together until bedtime at 7! In this time, I sit back and watch the two nutters play together and remember how lucky I am. Yes, sometimes I wish those boots and bar could be stored in the cupboard and never see the light of day, but Milo was born with talipes and that is a small part of him. He’s a tough cookie, he copes just fine and we will have great stories to tell him when he’s old enough to learn about his condition. Until then, we will continue to encourage him to be the best version of himself and enjoy life.

I think we’re doing a good job, and Milo’s pretty darn lucky to have two crazy, loving parents like us.

One thought on “A Day in the Life of a Talipes Mummy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s